About the Hall of Fame
TOUGALOO COLLEGE NATIONAL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI AWARD
The Distinguished Alumni Award (commonly know as the Hall of Fame) represents an attempt by the Tougaloo College National Alumni Association and Tougaloo College to carefully select and publicly acknowledge supportive alumni who have distinguished themselves in their respective professions. The committee will select five individuals each year based on their contribution and/or success in any of the following ten categories: Athletics, Arts & Entertainment, Business, Communication, Community Service, Education, Government & Law, Medicine, Religion, and Science.
Albert Bazaar Britton, MD ’43 – Medicine
Carolyn Voncil Walker Henderson ’66 – Business
Delores Bolden Stamps, PhD ’68 – Education
John Veasley, DDS ’79 – Medicine
Earnestine Willis, MD ’72 – Medicine
The Committee will select the top five individuals representing the various categories. Inductees will be chosen based on a point system. Significant weight will be given to the nominees’ individual accomplishments, professional affiliations and certifications, publications, leadership skills and service and contributions to Tougaloo College. Please be thorough in completing your nomination form. While members of the committee might be familiar with some of the individuals that are nominated, our decisions are based exclusively on the information that is provided on the form. All nominees must be notified and in agreement with information being submitted on the nomination form. To confirm agreement the nominee must sign and return the reply form. Faxed copies will not be accepted.
All nominations for the 2019 Hall of Fame must be received by April 30, 2019.
If you have questions, please contact:
Ro’chelle Williams at 202-510-8639 or Addie Hudson at 312-735-3684
Active Alumni Chapters should make nominations for induction into the Tougaloo College Hall of Fame.
Self-nominations are welcomed. Although it is not required, we encourage all individuals to route their nominations through an Alumni Chapter. The individual should contact the Office of Alumni Affairs or the Tougaloo College National Alumni Association (TCNAA) for instructions.
All nominations must be on an “Official Hall of Fame Nomination Form” which can be found on the TCNAA website (tcnaa.org)
Type or print using black ink.
Complete the Hall of Fame Nomination Form in its entirety. Consideration will only be given to nominees with completed forms. (NO EXCEPTIONS)
If additional space is needed to complete the Nomination Form, please type or print on separate page (Please reference appropriate question or section you are continuing).
Limit each nomination to one category per form. Submit a separate form for each nomination made.
The Selection Committee will make its decisions based solely on the information provided on the Nomination Form. Resumes and biographical sketches can be submitted as supporting documentation but will not be considered as an official nomination. Biographical sketches have proven helpful in publicity for inductees, but will not replace the required forms for the selection process.
Send Nomination forms to the Hall of Fame Selection Committee, (P.O. Box 288) Tougaloo College, Tougaloo, MS 39174. The Nomination forms must be received by April 30, 2019, to be considered.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
The Distinguished Alumni Award represents an attempt by the Tougaloo College National Alumni Association and Tougaloo College to carefully select and publicly acknowledge supportive alumni who have distinguished themselves in their respective professions. This Distinguished Alumni Award also publicly acknowledges and encourages other outstanding alumni to become supportive of TCNAA and Tougaloo College. The committee will select five individuals each year based on their contribution and/or success in any of the following ten categories, which include:
Athletics, Arts & Entertainment, Business, Communication, Community Service, Education, Government & Law, Medicine, Religion, and Science.
Active Alumni Chapters and other Tougalooians may submit nominations. The Office of Alumni Affairs or TCNAA may direct an individual to the nearest active Alumni Chapter if requested. Self-nominations can be mailed directly to TCNAA Hall Selection Committee.
Not more than five inductees will be honored each year from the ten categories listed above.
- Should be alumnus* of Tougaloo College.
- Accomplishments in his/her field must be documented.
- Contributions to Tougaloo (financially and in-kind services) must be documented. Consideration will also be given to individuals we want to encourage to become financial contributors to TCNAA and Tougaloo College.
- Must be present at the banquet in order to be honored (unless recognized posthumously). However, under extenuating circumstances as determined by the committee, an award may be given in absentia.
- Must have a fifteen-year span of departure from Tougaloo College.
- Must meet Distinguished Alumni Award criteria
A video presentation will be prepared for each inductee.
Hall of Fame Video Instructions
- Inductee must submit a headshot. This picture will be the one that will appear on the front of the souvenir booklet and on the inductee’s plaque
- The inductee must choose seven (7) pictures that are meaningful to him/her. The pictures selected should compliment his/her video tribute.
- Once the eight (8) pictures [1 headshot + 7 pictures], have been selected, they should be scanned or saved to a Picture CD(Walgreen or CVS) Inductee should remember to get photo sheet that comes with the Picture CD.
- The Video Tribute template must be completed. The inductee must understand that the biography sent for the souvenir booklet will not be read for the Video Tribute. If the inductee opts not to complete the Video Tribute Template, his/her biography will be edited at the discretion of the Committee.
- All of these items are to be mailed to the Hall of Fame Committee no later than August 1, 2019.
|NOTE:||*An alumnus is one who has attended Tougaloo College, Southern Christian Institute or Tougaloo Preparatory School for at least one semester and left the College in good standing.|